Thursday, September 26, 2013

I'm finding myself in the place of trying to finish a poem that came to me randomly.  I ended up reflecting on an aspect of it and inserted something into the words that I'm not sure is poetry.  I wasn't even sure what the poem was going to be about until I got back into it to try to finish it, or at least work on it.  I got some more ideas, and more of a vision for it, but then started getting out of the "poetry" sense of writing towards the end.  

I was still writing the idea of it, but I could feel myself pulling out, at least somewhat, of the abstract place that I usually write out of.  All of a sudden, it didn't sound like poetry anymore.  


I'll see if, when it's finished, it still sounds like a poem.  Normally, I just kind of go and let the words come.  They came this time, but I didn't know what they were going to turn into.  This particular piece is not working the way it normally does for me.  I had just started writing down whatever was entering my head.  I later got an idea what to turn it into, but I am finding it hard to mesh the ideas within the poem.


At one point, it started to look a little more like a story.  It still has the elements of poetry and sounds like a poem, but I saw chronology in it that I didn't see before.  It makes sense and it's still something I would want to write about, it's just shaping differently than I thought it would when I started to write down the thoughts I had in my head.

Sometimes, I just start writing and the poem becomes its own thing.  That's what I thought this one would do.  There was one line that took it another direction, and then the process changed, and it kind of confused me as far as where it would go.


This poem will be posted soon.  It is not large or grandiose, it is just one that has taken some turns and thrown me for loops in terms of its meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment